Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Be Still, My Caffeinated Heart


Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my over-caffeinated thoughts.

Earlier this year I woke up one morning with the flu: nausea, body ache, and my head feeling like it was filled with bricks. I had to stay home from work, so late in the morning I was sitting in bed with my laptop, scrolling through the news, and came across an article stating that caffeine withdrawal is now classified as a mental disorder in the latest and fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (or DSM-V for short).

I am not writing this to debate whether or not caffeine intoxication or withdrawal needs to classified as a mental illness. I am writing this because it serves to demonstrate the impact of how something so normal and relatively harmless can impact us in negative ways when taken too far, and how easy it is for me to take something  too far. The symptoms of caffeine withdrawal include nausea, body ache, and a head feeling like it is filled with bricks. And it turns out that it was what I was dealing with that particular day and not the flu.

I was finishing my master’s program and working  full time and doing family life, and had been living on coffee and coke zero. Things had settled down and I had been having some difficulty sleeping, and so the day before I had randomly decided to stop drinking caffeine immediately. This turned out to be a very stupid decision. I knew I would get headaches that night; I anticipated those. I did not anticipate feeling so miserable the following day. I had not considered how much caffeine I was drinking on a regular basis.

According to the Mayo Clinic*, moderate and healthy caffeine consumption is 400 mg a day or the equivalent of 4 cups of coffee. And by 4 cups, they mean literal 8 ounce cups. I don’t know about you, but the last time I had an 8 ounce drink of anything was probably when I had the McDonald’s orange drink in my happy meal. Our coffee maker at home supposedly makes 12 cups of coffee per pot, to which I scoff; we get 8 of our coffee mugs out of it, max. Most coffee shops don’t serve anything smaller than a 12 ounce cup; the Starbucks 8 ounce “short” is not listed on their menu and has to be specially requested. Furthermore, I usually take my morning coffee to go in my travel mug, which holds 16 ounces. I fill that up again at the office before I head out for the day into the community, so there’s another 16 ounces, which means that by 11am I’ve hit the ‘moderate’ level of consumption. Then add a 16 ounce coke zero (or two), a cup of coffee with a friend, and then a couple of mugs at home to help get my studying done. You can see where the math takes me.

It is well documented that heavy caffeine consumption can impact mood – irritability, excitement, nervousness, restlessness, and insomnia, all of which can look like anxiety. Anxiety fuels worry, which fuels fear, and before you know it, what I’ve ingested into my body can have a profound impact on my spiritual state of mind. This isn’t earthshattering news; it’s just that while I’m quick to recognize these truths in a drug addict, or an alcoholic, I’m less likely to see it in the mirror and my own more culturally acceptable, "less harmful” forms of addiction. And if I am anxious about some stressor already and turning to comfort foods – coffee, desserts, snacks – as a coping mechanism, how much more could the effects of those comfort foods amplify my symptoms of anxiety or depression?

It is good to cast all our cares on God, and He is often gracious to meet us in that place, but perhaps He would also like us to take better care of our bodies in the meantime and practice that often overlooked and less warm-feeling  aspect of the fruit of the Spirit, self-control? I like to compartmentalize my spiritual well being from my physical well being, but I don't really see that segregation in Scripture. What if, in addition to praying “Lord, I surrender my anxiety and restlessness to you”, I also work to cut back on the stimulants? What if the cure to my spiritual apathy may have more to do with going to bed by 10pm than I’d like to think? What if a huge solution to my stress is to spend six days a week being busy and one day a week truly resting?

Be over-caffeinated in nothing, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


My venti mug: 20 ounces of comfort at a time.
 
* http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20045678

No comments:

Post a Comment